Press Room | HSBC
Accounts and cards
Loans and mortgages
- Investing and retiring
Insight and opportunity
Individual and family
HSBC Ushers in the New Year with a LEED Gold Certification
29 January 2009
Mettawa, IL (January 29, 2009) - HSBC-North America has been awarded LEED gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council for its new headquarters building in the Chicago suburb of Mettawa. The building was completed for occupancy in 2008.
LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) is the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction, and operation of high performance green buildings. The US Green Building Council rates a building in five key areas: sustainable site development, water savings, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality. HSBC-North America's gold rating is the result of a myriad of green features including:
- Recycling or composting of 90% of the facility's generated waste.
- Purchase of renewable energy representing 100% of its electricity use.
- Prairie-style drought resistant landscaping that reduces the amount of irrigation; a partially green roof, and harvesting of rainwater for toilet flushing and irrigation.
- Light guided window treatments that track the position of the sun while the building harvests natural daylight, with self-dimming lighting to adjust electric light levels.
- Preferred parking for employees who drive fuel efficient vehicles, and kiosks in building that educates employees about HSBC's environmental performance.
- An expanded flexible work strategy called HSBC@Work which enables employees to work from home on a regular basis, thus balancing their professional and personal demands and reducing carbon emissions from commuting.
We're honored to receive the LEED gold recognition from the U.S. Green Building Council," says Brendan McDonagh, CEO, HSBC-North America. "The gold certification stands as another milestone in HSBC's global efforts to manage the direct and indirect impact of our business on the environment."
The certification for HSBC-North America's headquarters building is part of HSBC's worldwide sustainability strategy. Over the past few years, HSBC has committed some US$90 million to improve the environmental performance of its office buildings worldwide.
"Maximizing the efficiency of our buildings is an essential part of sustainable business practice," says Simon Martin, Head of Group Corporate Sustainability, HSBC. "Strategically we view sustainability as an imperative for long term success, and as something that should inform every level of our business and culture."
About HSBC - North America
HSBC - North America comprises all of HSBC's U.S. and Canadian businesses with assets totalling $580 billion. The company's businesses serve nearly 68 million customers in five key areas: personal financial services, consumer finance, commercial banking, private banking, and corporate investment banking and markets. Financial products and services are offered under the HSBC, HFC and Beneficial brands.
- Wen Huang
Have a question?
Call our Customer Relationship Center
Monday - Sunday 7:00am - 12:00am ET
Automated banking available 24/7
Lost Stolen 24/7
Monday - Sunday 7:00am - 12:00am ET
Investing and retiring††
- About HSBC
- Terms & Conditions
- Site Map
- HSBC Accessibility
- HSBC Group
- © HSBC Bank USA, N.A. 2014. All Rights Reserved.
Equal Housing Lender.
|†† Investments, Annuity and Insurance Products:|
|ARE NOT A BANK DEPOSIT OR OBLIGATION OF THE BANK OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES||ARE NOT FDIC INSURED||ARE NOT INSURED BY ANY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY||ARE NOT GUARANTEED BY THE BANK OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES||MAY LOSE VALUE|