Account opening FAQs | HSBC
Accounts and cards
Loans and mortgages
- Investing and retiring
Insight and opportunity
Individual and family
- Ways to Bank
Home, office, on the go
Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I need to apply online?
- Can I apply if I'm not a U.S. citizen?
- How long will it take to complete the online application?
- Is my online application secure?
- What can I expect after the application is submitted?
- If I am opening a joint account, will I need to provide information and documentation for the joint applicant?
- If I am already an HSBC customer, will I be required to provide copies of ID, social security card and proof of address?
- Why is this information and documentation required?
- How can I make my opening deposit?
- How long will it take before I know my account has been opened?
What do I need to apply online?
You must be at least 18 years of age and have a U.S. address to apply for a deposit account online. If you do not have a U.S. address, please call 800.975.4722.
The deposit application requires the following information:
- Social Security Number
- If you are a non-US Citizen - Your Country of Citizenship, visa expiration date (if applicable), and Resident Alien Card Number (Green Card) or Passport Number, Country of Issuance, and expiration date
- Current driver's license is required to open your account online
- Date of birth
- Telephone Number
- Current address
- Email address
- Employment information
- Mother's maiden name
- Primary bank name, address and account number
Can I apply if I'm not a U.S. citizen?
Yes, as long as you are a U.S. resident. In addition to the standard documentation required from above, you will need to provide your non-citizen identification number and expiration date.
How long will it take to complete the online application?
With the required information available, the application should take you approximately 10-15 minutes to complete.
Is my online application secure?
The security of your personal information and your online banking transactions is of utmost importance to HSBC. We maintain strict security standards and procedures to prevent unauthorized access to your information, including 128-Bit SSL Encryption, Internal Systems Encryption, and Firewalls.
Visit our HSBC Security & Fraud Center for additional information.
What can I expect after the application is submitted?
After you have completed the application you will receive an "Application Status" notice via email, which will give you direction on how to proceed.
You may need to send:
- A check - if you decided to fund your account using this method.
- Additional documentation, if requested
Once we receive all necessary documents, and are able to verify your information, your account will be opened within 1-2 business days. If requested, please be sure to send your Master Deposit Agreement using the instructions printed on the agreement.
If I am opening a joint account, will I need to provide information and documentation for the joint applicant?
The Primary Applicant and Co-Applicant can choose to complete the application together or separately.
- Social Security Numbers and Dates of Birth
- Either person may choose to fund the new account. If opting to fund your new account online, you will need the bank account and routing number (of the current bank account) of whomever will be funding the new account
- Current Driver's License information
- Information about current loans or credit accounts for each applicant to help us verify identity
If I am already an HSBC customer, will I be required to provide copies of ID, social security card and proof of address?
You will be notified if any additional documentation is required.
Why is this information and documentation required?
Government regulations require that we verify your identity before opening an account. We use the information you provide to assist us in confirming your identity.
How can I make my opening deposit?
Your opening deposit can be made by transferring funds from any HSBC or other financial institution checking account or savings account. You can also mail a check made payable to HSBC Bank USA, National Association.
How long will it take before I know my account has been opened?
Depending on the method of funding, your approval status, and whether we require your Master Deposit Agreement to be returned, it could be three days or more. You will be notified via email on the progress of your account opening.
Account opening advice
Have a question?
Call our Customer Relationship Center
Monday - Sunday 7:00am - 12:00am ET
Automated banking available 24/7
Lost Stolen 24/7
Monday - Sunday 7:00am - 12:00am ET
Investing and retiring††
- About HSBC
- Terms & Conditions
- Site Map
- HSBC Accessibility
- HSBC Group
- © HSBC Bank USA, N.A. 2016. All Rights Reserved.
Equal Housing Lender.
|†† Investments, Annuity and Insurance Products:|
|ARE NOT A BANK DEPOSIT OR OBLIGATION OF THE BANK OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES||ARE NOT FDIC INSURED||ARE NOT INSURED BY ANY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY||ARE NOT GUARANTEED BY THE BANK OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES||MAY LOSE VALUE|