Home Buying Process: Steps to Buying a Home | HSBC
Buying a home is a big step. We can help guide you through the process.
Whether you're a first-time home buyer or you've already purchased a home in the past, HSBC has the tools and experience to help you successfully navigate the process. We can help you ask the right questions and understand each step along the way.
Talk to us about getting started and take advantage of our convenient mortgage calculators and tools to help you estimate your costs.
Knowing how much you can borrow is the very first step to buying a home. Once you know the amount, you can then search homes that fit your preferred location, lifestyle and budget.
To get an idea about how much you can afford, use our mortgage calculators to determine your down payment, closing costs, mortgage payments and other costs associated with purchasing a home.Calculate how much you can afford
View other mortgage calculators
Before you look for a new home, consider the advantages of getting pre-approved for a mortgage1. Based on your unique financial situation, our mortgage consultants can help you establish a plan to achieve your home ownership goals while staying on budget.
An HSBC Pre-Approval1 offers competitive rates2, a 90-day commitment and gives you additional leverage during seller negotiations. With HSBC you can look for your new home knowing how much home you can afford.Get Pre-Approved
Looking for an affordable mortgage can be a challenging process that requires some guidance. At HSBC, we offer a variety of mortgages designed to meet the different needs of our consumers.
Compare our HSBC mortgages and see which type of mortgage fits your needs.Compare Mortgages
Before you start to feel overwhelmed by the mortgage application process, HSBC is here to be your guide. We can help you prepare the right documents and provide advice and checklists to keep you organized throughout the process.
- Gather relevant information such as:
- If you are buying a property, please provide purchase location (exact property address not required), price and down payment.
- If you are refinancing, please provide estimated property value and loan amount you want to borrow
- Our checklist outlines all the documentation you'll need for applying for a mortgage
- Begin your application in one of the following ways:
- Provide supporting documents.
Your dedicated home mortgage consultant will provide you with a list of specific documents required to process your loan application. The consultant will also provide you with information about estimated closing costs and loan terms. Please review, sign, and return these documents along with any required fees to get the processing complete.
- Loan Approval Process
Once you formally apply for an HSBC Mortgage, we will take the following steps:
- Application Review: Our mortgage professional will perform a credit check and review and verify all documents that you provided with the application
- Appraisal: We will order an Appraisal and/or Condo/Co-op Questionnaire, if applicable
- Disclosures: Application and Mortgage Disclosures will be delivered to you via Express Mail for your review and signature
- Approval/Commitment: Next, your mortgage application will be underwritten and approved if it meets all requirements
- Title Ordered: Your attorney will complete a title search to ensure the property you wish to purchase legally belongs to the seller and is free from any violations
- Schedule for Closing: The processor will contact you to schedule closing. Your attorney will then set up the closing date with all parties who need to attend
- Closing: At closing you will need a bank check prepared for the remaining down payment and any and all fees associated with the transaction.
Check it off on the Checklist
At any point during the process, you will have your mortgage professional help you with all the steps involved in processing your application and closing your loan.
View our Mortgage Checklist to familiarize yourself with the required documents for the application.
First Time Home Buyer?
Please consider the below additional information as part of your home purchase decision:
- Who are involved in the Home Buying Process?
- Down Payment and Costs to Consider
- HSBC's First Home Club Program3
1 Final mortgage approval is subject to receipt of a satisfactory purchase contract by commitment expiration date, satisfactory appraisal and title report and completion of all conditions stated in your commitment letter.
2 The interest rate is not guaranteed until the pre-approval is converted to a loan application, which must include the identification of a property. You may then elect to lock the interest rate at any time from the date of application until 10 days prior to closing.
3 Available for prospective home buyers in New York and New Jersey only.
Mortgage and home equity products are offered in the U.S. by HSBC Bank USA, N.A. and are only available for properties located in the U.S. Subject to credit approval. Borrowers must meet program qualifications. Programs are subject to change. Geographic and other restrictions may apply. Discounts can be cancelled or are subject to change at anytime and cannot be combined with any other offer or discount.
- About HSBC
- Terms & Conditions
- Site Map
- HSBC Accessibility
- HSBC Group
- © HSBC Bank USA, N.A. 2017. All Rights Reserved.
Equal Housing Lender.
|†† Investments, Annuity and Insurance Products:|
|ARE NOT A BANK DEPOSIT OR OBLIGATION OF THE BANK OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES||ARE NOT FDIC INSURED||ARE NOT INSURED BY ANY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY||ARE NOT GUARANTEED BY THE BANK OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES||MAY LOSE VALUE|
Estamos aquí para servirle. Si necesita ayuda en español o inglés, comuníquese con nosotros sin costo alguno al número 888.433.4722. Para llamadas por cobrar fuera de Estados Unidos, comuníquese al número 716.841.4288.
我們隨時為您提供協助。需要廣東話或英語服務，請撥 800.711.8001（北美洲境內免費長途電話）或 716.841.6989（美國以外地區可採用對方付費方式致電）。
我们随时为您提供帮助。需要普通话或英语服务，请拨 800.711.8001（北美洲境内免费长途电话）或 716.841.6989（美国以外地区可采用对方付费方式致电）。
We're here to help. For service in any other languages, call us today toll-free at 800.975.4722. If you are calling from outside the U.S. or Canada, please call us collect at 716.841.7212.
We're happy you have come back to complete your Online HSBC account application.
If you've started to fill out an online application for a deposit account and saved it, simply click the Retrieve an existing application link and be prepared to provide the following information:
First Name and Last Name
Social Security Number
Date of Birth
Your application will be made available for completion.
If you did not save your online application, you'll need to reapply for the product you are interested in. Simply return to the product page on the Public website that you were interested in and click the apply now button.
Thank you for your interest in HSBC. We look forward to helping you reach your financial goals.