Alerts | HSBC
The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC) has advised HSBC that fictitious correspondence, allegedly issued by the OCC regarding funds purportedly under the control of the OCC and other government entities, is in circulation. Correspondence may be distributed via e-mail, fax, or postal mail. The request asks for personal information that can be used to commit theft by fraud.
There are several variations of fictitious documents in circulation, three of which are attached to this Alert. While the appearance of documentation may differ, the material is being sent to consumers in an attempt to elicit funds from them and to gather personal information to be used in possible future identification theft.
Variation No. 1
These documents may contain the letterhead of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security with the page footer containing the U.S. Department of the Treasury seal and wording. The letter claims that the OCC is holding funds until a Clearance Certificate fee has been verified as paid. Both the letter and "Official Receipt" appear to be signed by an official of Homeland Security. This material may be sent via e-mail from [email@example.com].
Variation No. 2
This document references " "CEASE AND DESIST" ORDER OF FUNDS" and instructs the recipient to complete a FUNDS IMPORT CERTIFICATION & INTERNATIONAL TRANSFER PERMIT ORDER to ensure that the OCC releases funds to the beneficiary. This letter appears to be signed by an official of the OCC. This material may be sent via e-mail from [firstname.lastname@example.org]. Please note that this e-mail address is not affiliated with the OCC and has been shut down. The OCC's Web site is www.occ.gov, and all e-mail addresses associated with the OCC would end in [@occ.treas.gov].
Variation No. 3
The document contains both the Treasury Department and OCC seals and references "NOTIFICATION OF FULL CLEARANCE FOR CREDITTING". This document was issued to the recipient following his payment of an $8,900 "MT 103" fee. E-mail addresses used to perpetrate this fraud include: [email@example.com] and [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Before responding in any manner to any proposal supposedly issued by the OCC that requests personal information or personal account information, or that requires the payment of any fee in connection with the proposal, recipients should take steps to verify that the proposal is legitimate. At a minimum, the OCC recommends that consumers
- Contact the OCC directly to verify the legitimacy of the proposal (1) via e-mail at email@example.com; (2) by mail to the OCC's Special Supervision Division, 400 7th St. SW, Suite 3E-218, MS 8E-12, Washington, DC 20219; (3) via fax to (571) 293-4925; or (4) by calling the Special Supervision Division at (202) 649-6450.
- Contact state or local law enforcement.
- File a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov if the proposal appears to be fraudulent and was received via e-mail or the Internet.
- File a complaint with the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via the online complaint form at https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MailFraudComplaint.aspx, if the proposal appears to be fraudulent and was delivered through the U.S. Postal Service.
Office of the Comptroller of the Currency/U.S. Department of Treasury site provides complete listing of all Security Alerts through the link below.
Info verified with - https://www.occ.gov/news-issuances/alerts/2016/alert-2016-5.html
* Viewing PDF files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download it online. After downloading the software, follow the instructions for installing the program. If you prefer, you can always download the files now and open them offline later.
Report Fraud Now!
Suspect fraudulent use of your HSBC account? Call the phone number on your statement.
- About HSBC
- Terms & Conditions
- Site Map
- HSBC Accessibility
- HSBC Group
- © HSBC Bank USA, N.A. 2016. All Rights Reserved.
Equal Housing Lender.
|†† Investments, Annuity and Insurance Products:|
|ARE NOT A BANK DEPOSIT OR OBLIGATION OF THE BANK OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES||ARE NOT FDIC INSURED||ARE NOT INSURED BY ANY FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY||ARE NOT GUARANTEED BY THE BANK OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES||MAY LOSE VALUE|
Estamos aquí para servirle. Si necesita ayuda en español o inglés, comuníquese con nosotros sin costo alguno al número 888.433.4722. Para llamadas por cobrar fuera de Estados Unidos, comuníquese al número 716.841.4288.
我們隨時為您提供協助。需要廣東話或英語服務，請撥 800.711.8001（北美洲境內免費長途電話）或 716.841.6989（美國以外地區可採用對方付費方式致電）。
我们随时为您提供帮助。需要普通话或英语服务，请拨 800.711.8001（北美洲境内免费长途电话）或 716.841.6989（美国以外地区可采用对方付费方式致电）。
We are here to help. For service in all other languages, call us today toll free at 800.975.4722. For collect calls outside the U.S., contact us at 716.841.7212.