Frequently Asked Questions
- What do I need to apply for a deposit account online?
- What do I need to apply for a credit card account online?
- Can I apply if I'm not a U.S. citizen?
- How long will it take to complete the online application?
- Is my online application secure?
- What can I expect after the application is submitted?
- Can I add a joint account holder to my online account after it is opened?
- Why might I be required to provide additional documentation?
- How long will it take before I know my account has been opened?
What do I need to apply for a deposit account online?
The deposit application requires the following personal information:
- Social Security Number
- Date of birth – You must be 18 years of age
- U.S. mobile number
- E-mail address
- Employment information
- Current U.S. residential address
- U.S. residential address for the past one year (deposit only)
- Meet the requirements to complete an IRS Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification)
If you don't have a Social Security Number or have a military address or non-U.S. residential address, please call 800.975.4722.
What do I need to apply for a credit card account online?
Can I apply if I'm not a U.S. citizen?
Yes, you can apply for an account online as long as you are at least 18 years of age, have a Social Security Number, currently have a U.S. residential address/mobile number, and have had U.S. residency for the past one year. In addition to the required standard documentation you must meet the requirements to complete an IRS Form W-9 Tax (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification).
If you don't meet these requirements you can call us at 800.975.4722 to speak with a specialist in the Customer Relationship Center or visit your local HSBC Wealth Center.
How long will it take to complete the online application?
If you have information on hand, the application should take approximately 10 minutes to complete. A joint application will take additional time. Customers who already hold HSBC US accounts will need to apply via the account opening option in Online banking.
Is my online application secure?
What can I expect after the application is submitted?
After you’ve completed the application you will receive an ‘Application Status’ (the application has been approved, more information is needed, or the application has been declined) notice by email, which will give you directions on how to proceed. To make sure you get this email, check your spam filters and that emails from us.hsbc.com aren’t blocked.
We may request documentation, if needed. Once we receive all necessary documents and are able to verify your information, we’ll contact you by email to let you know your account has been opened.
Existing HSBC customers can log on and view your new HSBC accounts online. If you’re new to HSBC, and requested Personal Internet Banking access within the application, your Welcome email will provide directions on how to complete registration. If you didn’t select Personal Internet Banking within the application, you can register now.
Can I add a joint account holder to my online account after it is opened?
Once your account is open, and provided do not already have a combination of existing and individual accounts, you can add a joint account holder to a checking or savings account. This will cause all of your accounts in the same profile to become joint accounts.
If you are located in the United States or Canada and you wish to proceed with adding a joint account holder to a checking or savings account, you may do so by calling 1.800.975.4722. Representatives are available 8:30am-4:15pm ET Monday through Friday. The following requirements must be met:
- Please make sure both you and the joint applicant call together
- The joint applicant must have a social security number
- The joint applicant must have a U.S. address
- The joint applicant must have a valid government issued ID
If the joint applicant doesn’t meet the above requirements, please visit a local HSBC Wealth Center together to complete the application.
Please note: Once a Certificate of Deposit (CD) is opened, a joint account holder cannot be added. If someone needs to be added after the account is opened, the CD would have to be closed and a new CD will have to be opened.
Why might I be required to provide additional documentation?
When you apply for an account, government regulations require that we ask for identification such as address, date of birth and Social Security Number to verify your identity.
How long will it take before I know my account has been opened?
Some applications will be approved immediately while others may need additional review and/or information. You will receive an email after the application has been submitted confirming next steps and once your application has been finalized.